December 1st: Rally in support of postal workers and the right to strike!
Labour rights, and our ability to win the economic transformation we need to survive, are under attack. On Tuesday, the Trudeau’s Liberals new back to work law will impose millions in fines if Postal Workers try to go on strike.
On Saturday, December 1st, we’re calling on our allies in labour, environmental, Indigenous movements and affected community members to rally in solidarity with postal workers. We’ll send a clear message: we support everyone’s right to strike – for better working conditions, and a better world.
This page will be updated with actions as details come in. Stay tuned!
- Alert Bay, BC: the post office, 12pm noon
- Victoria: BC Legislature, 12pm – facebook event
- Vancouver: 1245 West Broadway, 12pm – facebook event
- Chilliwack: 7388 Vedder Rd, 12pm – facebook event
- Kelowna: Parkinson Recreation Centre, 9am – facebook event
- Penticton: Cherry Lane Mall - facebook event
- Prince George: 808 Canada Games Way, 12pm – facebook event
- Yellowknife: 5109 48th St – facebook event
- Calgary: Harry Hayes Bldg, 220 4 ave SE, 12pm – facebook event
- Edmonton: End of Steel Park, 12pm – facebook event
- Lethbridge: Downtown Post Office – facebook event
- Grand Prairie: Revolution Place, South Side - facebook event
- Red Deer: 6010 67A St - facebook event
- Regina: 310 University Park Dr., 12pm – facebook event
- Weyburn: TBA
- The Pas: 161 Fischer Ave – facebook event
- Winnipeg: Museum of Human Rights, 12pm – facebook event
- Thompson: City Hall - facebook event
- Timmins: Algonquin Blvd and Pine St, 12pm – facebook event
- Sudbury: Corner of Notre Dame & Lasalle - facebook event
- London: Victoria Park, 11:30am – facebook event
- Guelph: 88 Wyndham Street North - facebook event
- Durham Region: 1154 Kingston Road, Pickering, 1pm – facebook event
- Toronto: 1180 Danforth Ave – facebook event
- Mississauga: City Hall, 12pm – facebook event
- Kingston: 120 Clarence St., 12pm – facebook event
- Ottawa: Rideau Centre, 11am – facebook event
- Montreal: Métro Jarry, 12pm – facebook event
- Fredericton: 494 Queen St - facebook event
- Charlottetown: 75 Fitzroy Road, 12pm - facebook event
- Halifax: TBA
Can you help us organize in one of these cities or elsewhere? Sign up here to volunteer.
The Liberals' legislation is an open attack on the right to strike. It’s also a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The Conservatives did the same thing in 2011, and a Superior Court declared it unconstitutional. Senator Murray Sinclair, a former judge and law professor, told reporters: “it is a Charter breach, there's no doubt in my mind... this is an unconstitutional piece of legislation.”
The attack on collective rights is reason enough to mobilize to stand with Postal Workers.
But the ability to strike is not just a human right. It’s also the best tool we have to expand public services, redistribute wealth and deal with the climate crisis.
With Delivering Community Power, postal workers have proposed a bold vision for the future of Canada Post. Despite support from a diverse coalition, the government and Canada Post are not listening. The right to strike is the one thing that budge them.
To achieve the vision of expanded services that improve everyone’s lives, we need to improve the lives of postal workers. To address the climate crisis, we have to address the crises that postal workers are facing: injuries, forced overtime, unequal pay.
Join us on December 1st to send a message to the Liberals: we’re coming to overturn your unconstitutional law, and we’ll keep going until we get the future we all deserve.
- Friends of Public Services
- Council of Canadians
- People for Posties
- Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE) Vancouver
- The Law Union of BC
- National Organization of Retired Postal Workers
- Canadian Dimension
- Our Times Magazine
- Toronto Socialist Project
- Punch Up Collective
- Retail Action Network
- SUD PTT
- Unifor local 567
- Socialist Alternative Vancouver
- Ottawa IWW General Defence Committee Local 6
- PSAC local 40005
- Regina District Labour Council
- London District Labour Council
- Fraser Valley District Labour Council
- Fredericton District Labour Council
- Winnipeg District Labour Council
- Edmonton & District Labour Council
- Socialist Action
- BC Government & Service Employees' Union (BCGEU)
- Vancouver Tenants Union
- AUPE (Alberta Union of Provincial Employees) Local 95 GSS (General Support Services) Healthcare - Calgary AB
- OPSEU Local 301 (UOIT Support Staff)
- The Veterans Coalition
- Fight for $15 & Fairness Ottawa
- Canadian Association of Professional Employees, local 301
- UCCO SACC CSN ( union of canadian correctional officers )
To endorse, email email@example.com with subject line: "endorse day of action" and the name of your group.